Absence from Class / Cutting
In an ongoing effort to maintain a standard of excellence, and to build on our success, we have revisited and revised our current standards for classroom participation as it is impacted by: Absence from Class / Cutting.
- Subject class teachers will record daily all student class absences.
- Signed and teacher-approved passes / trip forms issued by school staff members will be honored and serve as an excuse for a class absence, under special circumstances.
- A class absence due to lateness to school, along with a cafeteria-generated “Late to School Pass” is not considered a valid excuse for a class absence and is considered cutting.
Class Participation Rubric:
- When a student is not in class or is late to class, he or she cannot receive full credit for Habits of Success as defined in the teacher’s grading policy / class contract.
- When a student accumulates a daily instance of cutting, the subject area teacher will make contact with the student's parent / guardian and a separate communication will be sent to the the dean.
Reporting Student Cutting Procedural Steps:
- For each individual instance of cutting – the teacher creates a communication submission to the Dean and Parent/Guardian.
- Additional cuts will be handled as follows:
- Dean conference with student
- Dean notifies parent and advises that subsequent cuts will result in a Parent Conference with an Assistant Principal.
- Deans referral
- Parent Conference with subject supervisory Assistant Principal to determine disciplinary and/or restorative plan will be developed which may include:
- Exclusion from club and/or Athletic team activities until attendance has been brought back to satisfactory.
- Exclusion from Senior Activities if applicable
- Completion of School Community Service
- 1st- conference held between the student and teacher. Teacher notifies parent.
- Second cut – Teacher submits a dean referral.
- Third cut – any subsequent cuts
- A notation of “Lack of Participation” will be indicated on the student's report card if the student is cutting a subject class.
- Student’s HOS Grade will reflect student’s occurrence of cutting/late-cutting class.