11th Grade Students
After becoming more informed about the jobs available to them by researching and exploring career fields they are interested in, students should begin the Career Preparation stage of the Work-Based Learning Sequence. This is the final stage of their high school experience where students spend their last two years working both paid and unpaid internships in the field(s) of their interest. They should also continue attending workshops, visiting colleges and job sites, job shadowing, and even participating in summer programs.
In the 11th grade there are a wide number of elective courses that students can take to further their exploration of Technology and Pre-Engineering.
Electronics 1 (Digital Electronics): Grades 11-12, 1 Term, Elective, must take Electronics 2 after this course
The Digital Electronics course is one of three electronics courses offered at Staten Island Technical High School. Students will study theoretical concepts of a digital components and circuitry, and then reinforce it in the lab setting by using National Instruments “Multisim 11” software. The following topics will be covered:
- Number Systems: Binary, Hex, and Octal,
- Boolean Algebra – Algebraic, Standard, Canonical, and Karnaugh Forms of Boolean Functions,
- Optimization of Boolean Functions. two through five variables functions simplification using K-Map Method,
- Combinational Logic – (SSI – Small Scale Integration) – Gate Diagrams, Decision Making Digital Circuits,
- Optimizing circuits for cost, speed, and size,
- MSI (Medium Scale Integration) and PLD’s ( Programmable Logic Devices),
- Adders, Multiplexers, ROM’s, Programmable Logic Arrays (PLA), and Programmable Array Logic (PAL), and
- Synchronous Sequential Logic (Memory Elements) – JK, D, T, and RS Flip-Flops.
Electronics 2 (Networking, Cybersecurity, and Digital Tools): Grade 11-12, 1 Term, Elective, must have taken Electronics 1 prior to this course
Advanced Audio/Video Engineering & TV Studio: Grades 10,11,12, 2 Terms, Elective
Computer Science & Engineering: Grade 9-12, 2 Terms, Elective
College Now Communications and Mass Media: Grade 11, 12, 1 Term, Elective
Work Based Learning Internship: Grade 11, 12, 1-2 terms, Elective
WBL Format B: Grade 11,12, 1 - 2 terms, Elective