New York City houses nine specialized high schools that were established under New York State Law 2590 section-g to serve the needs of gifted New York City students. These school are:
- Bronx High School of Science
- The Brooklyn Latin School
- Brooklyn Technical High School
- High School of American Studies at Lehman College, in the Bronx
- High School for Math, Science and Engineering at City College, in Manhattan
- Queens High School for the Sciences at York College
- Staten Island Technical High School
- Stuyvesant High School, in Manhattan
- Fiorello H. LaGuardia High School of Music and Art and Performing Arts (does not use SHSAT)
Admission is based solely on a competitive written examination, known as the Specialized High School Admissions Test (SHSAT), open to all eighth and ninth grade New York City students. All applicants must be New York City residents in order to take the examination.
Learn more about Specialized High Schools here.