Specialized High School Admissions Test (SHSAT)
All eligible current 8th and first-time 9th grade students in public, private, and parochial schools applying to one or more of New York City’s Specialized High Schools (with the exception of LaGuardia High School) must take the SHSAT. Approximately 28,000 students took the SHSAT for September 2019 admission.
Students interested in taking the SHSAT should speak with their school counselor during the registration period.
Register Now to Test or Audition for the Specialized High Schools
- Get your High School Admissions Welcome Letter! This letter will include instructions for creating your account in MySchools(Open external link), as well as a unique account creation code.
- For current eighth grade public school students: Your Welcome Letter was mailed to your home address the first week of school. Questions? Ask your school counselor.
- For current private or parochial school students: Pick up your Welcome Letter at your current school or at a Family Welcome Center.
- Register for the Specialized High Schools Admissions Test and/or LaGuardia High School auditions by October 10, 2019. Once you receive your Welcome Letter and create your MySchools(Open external link) account, you can schedule (Open external link)your test and/or audition.
Registration for the SHSAT and LaGuardia auditions is now open! Students who register to take the SHSAT will test on one of the following dates in fall 2019:
|Test Date||Students Testing|
|Sat, Oct. 26, 2019||
|Sun, Oct. 27, 2019||
|Sat, Nov. 2, 2019||
|Sun, Nov. 17, 2019||
Students from 55 schools around the city will take the SHSAT during the school day on Wednesday, October 30th, as part of a pilot program.
- For specific information regarding the Specialized High School Admissions Test and Specialized High Schools, please refer to the 2019–2020 Specialized High School Handbook. This is a NYC Department of Education publication outlining the entire Specialized High School testing and admissions process in addition to offering two sample examinations with explanations.
- The SHSAT was redesigned in Fall 2017. Click here for more information.
- The results of the SHSAT will be sent from the New York City Department of Education, directly to public, private and parochial middle schools in March 2020.
- Staten Island Technical High School IS NOT involved in the grading or disseminating of student SHSAT results at any part of the admissions process
For High School Admissions/SHSAT Questions, contact the NYC DOE HS Enrollment Team at (718) 935–2399, or e-mail: HS_Enrollment@schools.nyc.gov